For your convenience, here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions about Dr. Cohan and his medical practice. Click on any of the questions below for more information.
Anyone familiar with the medical care system in the United States has noticed a number of unfortunate changes. Healthcare has become more impersonal than ever. Insurance bureaucracy has become a cumbersome and frustrating burden for patients and doctors. As a result, patient care and doctor-patient relationships suffer. In response to this, Dr. Cohan is pursuing an ambitious model for medical care which will:
- Provide his patients with easily accessible health care services from a physician who is committed to a personalized approach and the highest professional expertise and ethics.
- Enable him to spend more time with each patient by more sensibly balancing cost and quality and by limiting the size of his practice.
- Integrate your medical care by providing access to the finest medical specialists in a single state-of-the-art setting.
- Utilize the most advanced medical technology to streamline the diagnosis and ongoing management of your medical issues.
- Eliminate complex insurance paperwork and provide free courtesy insurance billing services (at no additional cost to you) so that you can get reimbursed quickly and hassle-free for your office visits.
Dr. Cohan is, first and foremost, an adult primary care specialist (that’s what the term “Internal Medicine” means). He is your general doctor for common medical problems and he coordinates your care with any subspecialist doctors that you might consult. Additionally, Dr. Cohan has special expertise in treating people living with HIV infection, male aging issues (like testosterone replacement and erectile dysfunction) and cutting-edge treatments for substance dependence.
Dr. Cohan’s office is at 150 North Robertson Blvd. Suite 115 Beverly Hills, CA 90211—inside the Robertson Diagnostic Center, on the first floor of the Beverly Hills Medical Plaza Building, directly to the left of the main elevators and through the large glass doors.
View our address, map and more on our Contact Us page.
The Robertson Diagnostic Center offers a comprehensive range of in-office medical services designed to meet your most important healthcare needs including:
- Multi-Specialty Physicians
- Advanced Clinical Laboratory Services
- Certified Colonoscopy Suite
- Complete X-Ray Facilities
- Advanced Cardiac Stress Testing with Nuclear Imaging
- Pulmonary Function Testing
- Bone Density Scans
- Dedicated and Experienced Nursing Staff
People who value their health, their time, and who are motivated to participate in their own well being will benefit most from this new model for medical care. The medical practice is designed to provide first-class care and fast, easy access to Dr. Cohan, your personal physician.
There are many differences between engaging a personal doctor dedicated to your health and well-being, versus whomever your insurance plan may have assigned to you. In this era of depersonalized “conveyor-belt” medicine, establishing a personal and enduring relationship with your doctor is invaluable.
Here are just a few of the advantages Dr. Cohan can offer his patients:
- Respect for your time is paramount. No more waiting for hours in a crowded waiting room just to see a doctor for 10 minutes and be ushered out the door.
- Guaranteed same-day office appointments for urgent matters
- Fast, direct, personal access to Dr. Cohan
Yes, Dr. Cohan is currently accepting new patients. New patients will spend at least one hour with Dr. Cohan on their first visit to:
- Take a detailed medical history
- Perform a thorough physical examination
- Undergo diagnostic testing for initial evaluation.
A follow-up consultation will be scheduled for approximately one week after the initial meeting to review the results of your tests and to create a comprehensive health plan for you.
Although “walk-in” visits are not encouraged, we can guarantee same-day service with Dr. Cohan in urgent situations for established patients. We ask that you call the office in advance so that we may prepare for your visit and try to avoid having you wait while you are not feeling well.
We respectfully request that all patients arrive 15 minutes early for their appointments. Dr. Cohan is among the few doctors who runs on time for his patient appointments.
If you need to reschedule your appointment for any reason, please call the office at least 24 hours in advance to avoid any missed appointment charges.
Dr. Cohan is on the attending staff of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Patients requiring inpatient hospital admission are now cared for by the Cedars-Sinai Hospitalist Service—a dedicated team of in-hospital doctors who specialize in the care of patients with acute medical problems. The Hospitalist Team communicates daily with Dr. Cohan and arranges for all inpatient testing, specialist consultations, nursing care, and discharge planning.
The main telephone number for Cedars Sinai Medical Center is 310-423-5000.
Dr. Cohan is designated as an “out-of-network” physician for all insurance plans.
Patients are asked to pay for the doctor’s fee at the time of service and can then be reimbursed directly by their insurance provider, according to the terms of the particular insurance plan.
With the exception of Medicare, you can still use your existing insurance for expensive services (like blood tests and cardiac stress tests) with no up-front cost to you.
Yes, you can still use your existing insurance plan (except Medicare) to see Dr. Cohan.
However, you will have to take up-front financial responsibility for one aspect of your medical care—the office visit fee. It is becoming increasingly common for top doctors like Dr. Cohan to “opt out” of direct involvement with managed care plans in order to focus on high quality medical care. Remember, that this patient responsibility only applies to the doctor’s fee and in-office services, not to lab tests or other big ticket items like MRI’s or CAT scans.
In many insurance plans, this type of care is covered under the “out of network” portion of your health care contract. Patients with “better-than-average” insurance coverage may be reimbursed for considerable portions of their medical expenses.
Additionally, the majority of Dr. Cohan’s patients now have the option of establishing “Health Reimbursement Accounts” with their employers using pre-tax dollars to help cover their out-of-pocket medical costs.
- After paying for the medical services you receive at the time of your office visit we will—as a complimentary courtesy service—submit the claim for reimbursement to your insurance carrier on your behalf.
- All payments and correspondence will go directly to you at your selected billing address. This way, you don’t have to raise a finger (or your blood pressure) dealing with complex insurance forms.
- Let’s say that you consult Dr. Cohan for a medical problem and the office visit charge is $275.
- This amount may be paid by cash, check, credit card or debit card as you leave the office.
- We will then electronically submit to your insurer a fully filled-out claim form that contains a detailed account of all of the services you received, the corresponding medical diagnosis codes and the exact amounts you paid to us.
- You will get reimbursed directly by your insurance provider according to your personal insurance contract.
One of the unique benefits of Dr. Cohan’s medical practice is that you do not have to pay Dr. Cohan for your lab tests up front. You can use your existing insurance to have all of your lab tests drawn in Dr. Cohan’s office and sent to an outside laboratory which accepts almost every insurance plan.
If you do choose to have testing done in the office, please be assured that lab tests, x-rays, medications and all other in-office medical services are priced reasonably and competitively. Depending on your type of insurance coverage, your reimbursement may be substantial if you decide to pay at the time of service.